The Jack E. Barger, Sr. Memorial Nursing Scholarship FundInformation And Application
The Jack E. Barger, Sr. Memorial Nursing Scholarship Fund was established by the Department of Pennsylvania Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in 1989 to address the state’s nursing shortage. Established in the memory of Department Commander Jack E. Barger, Sr., this scholarship has benefitted more than 120 students, including active duty service members and veterans. The Nursing Foundation of Pennsylvania (NFP), a charitable organization for professional nurses in the Commonwealth, is proud to continue its collaboration with the VFW in ensuring nurses for tomorrow.
- The recipient must be at least one of the following*:
- Active duty service member
- U.S. veteran
- The child or spouse of a veteran or active duty service member
- The recipient must be a resident of Pennsylvania.
- The recipient must be an undergraduate student.
- The recipient is required to attend the local VFW district meeting to accept the scholarship award. The VFW, if requested, will pay travel. Arrangements will be made through the office of the VFW.
* Responsibility to document the veteran/active duty status of the candidate will rest with the student and is required if the student is selected as a scholarship recipient.
Selection of scholarship recipients is made by a lottery drawing. Recipients will be contacted by e-mail and/or phone. Recipient names will also be posted at www.theNFP.org and www.psna.org. Scholarships will be presented at a local VFW district meeting. Presentations will be scheduled directly with the scholarship recipient through the local VFW.
How to Apply
- For individual applicants: Students submit completed information in the form below.
- * Responsibility to document the veteran/active duty status of the candidate will rest with the student and is required if the student is selected as a scholarship recipient.
- Submit a high-resolution (minimum 300 dpi – JPEG format) professional headshot for publicity use by PSNA/NFP (NOTE: selfies or phone camera photos are not acceptable)
Submit via NFP website by March 30, 2020.