Abington Memorial Hospital Dixon School of Nursing, Alumni Association Scholarship Endowment
In 1907, a group of women, including a nurse, in northeastern Philadelphia met and determined that their community needed a hospital.
In 1907, a group of women, including a nurse, in northeastern Philadelphia met and determined that their community needed a hospital. In 1914, George Elkins created the Stella McIntyre Elkins Trust Fund. The efforts of these women and the trust fund resulted in the establishment of a hospital and a “training school for nurses” with the first nurses graduating in 1916. The Abington Hospital School of Nursing has now graduated over 4000 nurses in its over 100 years of existence. The Abington Memorial Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association created to support nurses in the community has been unwavering in its commitment to community providing scholarships to deserving students in the nursing. While the school closed in 2017, Abington Hospital is now a second site, the Abington Dixon campus, for the Jefferson College of Nursing ensuring a nursing workforce for the community. Therefore, the Abington Dixon School of Nursing Alumnae Association is continuing its legacy of awarding scholarships to deserving nursing students by transferring its funds to the Nursing Foundation of Pennsylvania to create The Alumni Association of the Former Abington Memorial Hospital Dixon School of Nursing Scholarship Endowment Scholarship Fund. We are especially grateful to the Former Alumnae Association board for their gift that continues the legacy of the Abington School of Nursing Alumnae Association.
The Abington Alumni Association Scholarship Fund provides for scholarships directed towards the individual pursuing their nursing career at baccalaureate level.